Monday 23 February 2015

Power Of Books When Changing Schools

Power Of Books When Changing Schools

Between the ages of 8 and 13, I went to four different schools, including one halfway around the world. This meant I had be the ‘new girl’ four times, not know how the school works four times, try to make friends four times. You get the idea. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of it was great fun, and I met so many wonderful people. But it was also incredibly daunting. In fact terrifying is a more accurate word. But there was one thing that saved me during these turbulent times. Books!

The night before my first day of school, I would grab my favourite: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, and I’d be transported to Narnia. Instead of worrying about the next day, I would see my old friends, Lucy and Mr Tumnus. I’d stroke Aslan’s fur, and shake my head in horror at Edward’s actions - I was quite a judgmental child!!



My copy passed down to the next generation.

This book was my constant. When everything else was changing, it was my security blanket. And even now, if I pick up my tatty much loved copy, those feelings of warmth and safety come flying back.


Most children between the ages of 8 and 13, have to change schools at some point, whether it’s primary to secondary, prep to senior. It’s a time of transition.  And it’s hard. Books can be real lifesavers at times like this.

They can be a comfort, an old familiar face, when everything else seems to be changing. Just like The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was for me.

Or they can be helpful tools. Pea’s Book of Best Friend’s by Susie Day is a superb book telling the tale of three girls, not only moving school, but moving house too. Written in such a humorous way, it shows all the different emotions children feel they when start a new school. What I particularly love is that it shows how things don’t always go as planned; it takes time to settle; and most importantly, things often have a way of working themselves out in the end.

Or perhaps, books are pure escapism. A child chooses a brand new story, that’s so gripping, so spellbinding, there’s no way they can put it down to spend time worrying about what might or might not happen. Right now, there’s such a surge of fantastic middle grade books; so many for children to choose from; so many for children to escape in.

6 comments:

  1. So true! I went to boarding school from a very early age, and books were my way of escaping the strict day-to-day regime. When reading a book, I could be anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books can be so powerful and supportive. They are the great escape!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Tamsin! Four different schools sounds so tough - but yes, I can completely imagine the familiarity of certain books being a support. I often return to series I reread lots as a child when I'm stressed out now.

    I think as an adult, it's easy to underestimate how huge some worries can seem when you're that age. I'm thinking of things like John's embarrassment at damaging Swallow in Swallowdale (it's not even his boat! and he took a risk, because he wanted to win, when that's not the sort of person he is really) - and everyone understands how awful he feels and politely skirts round it. Same with Roger realising he hasn't really sprained his ankle, but now everyone's making a fuss so he just goes along with it. There's a book (possibly a Judy Blume?) where a girl cuts a piece out of her bedroom carpet while cutting something else, and there's an agonising long wait where she can't bear to confess but knows she'll get found out... They probably take up just a few pages, and they aren't THE WORLD IS ENDING!!! type dramas, but they felt as large to me when reading. My favourite MG gets that 'scale'. Or takes you to Narnia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. Four schools were pretty tough to navigate! But they also gave me great experiences.
      I think you're right about how 'little worries' are often overlooked. I haven't read Swallowdale but it's just gone on my to-be-read list. Books that show children that it's completely normal to fret and worry are great. Those feelings are natural, and everyone - especially writers!!- suffers from angst at some point.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post. Makes me think of the line from the film The History Boys, (and presumably the play) when the English teacher explains ‘the best moments in reading are when you come across something, a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things that you’d thought special, particular to you, and here it is, set down by a person you’ve never met, maybe even someone long ago dead… it’s as if a hand and come out and taken your’s. (History Boys - 2006)

    Love the idea of books holding our hands as we try and navigate the crossings of life. And who doesn't want to run off to Narnia or fall down a rabbit hole, sometimes, even as an adult!? ;-)

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great quote! I really want to watch The History Boys again now. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe definitely held my hand. : ) I think books help us consciously and subconsciously throughout our lives.

      Delete